Welcome to the blog!

This is a space where communication students studying convergence journalism (COMM 3555) and social responsibility (COMM 3030) share reports and reflections about issues related to food, nutrition, hunger, and social justice at the University of Utah and throughout the Salt Lake community. We hope you check back often for new updates and share your feedback by leaving us a comment!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Student Reflections on Social Soup #1


What is Social Soup at the University of Utah?

The Social Soup Lecture series are events held a few times throughout each semester, engaging students in social, economic, and environmental issues that surround food. I had never attended an event before, so I was not quite sure what to expect when entering.  This month’s topic focused mainly on healthy eating for the school year, and being that it is only the third week of school, I found this to be the perfect start to the Social Soup events for this semester. – Travis

On Tuesday, September 3rd, 2012, I attended my first Social Soup event ever.  I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but I wasn’t disappointed.  I walked into a very nice room in the Marriott Library on the U of U campus, and was immediately met with the pleasant smell of organic foods.  We were served a cold soup called Gazpacho.  It was made from ingredients grown in gardens located on the U campus.  There was a table set up giving away some fresh greens to grow on your own as well for those interested. – Paul

The general topic of Tuesday’s Social Soup was healthy and simple eating for students with limited resources. The overall consensus was that students are limited on time and money and therefore they might find it difficult to consume a healthy array of foods. The speaker mentioned that students should be eating a “rainbow of foods, including fruits and vegetables. Color in meals is essential to a healthy diet.  – Ashley

This Social Soup event opened with a series of videos featuring chef Jamie Oliver. In these videos he offered suggestions for keeping a healthy diet exciting and new; such as using colorful vegetables and trying exotic new recipes. This suggestion in particular resonated since we were eating gazbacho, a cold vegetable soup prepared from ingredients grown in the schools garden. Following the introductory videos, nutrition professor Jean Zancanella began her discussion on eating healthily on a budget.  Dr. Zancanella fielded the audience for suggestions as well as including her own insights. This approach served well to keep the group engaged and open to ideas as the many suggestions and comments could attest. The final piece of the event was a chef from the university who provided a demonstration on baking a delicious peach cobbler, illustrating a way to use a fruit that is currently in season. – Tomas

Jamie Oliver delivered a couple of poignant yet entertaining messages via video clips. The first was Food is Like Music wherein he confessed that the best meals come from having fun with cooking. At the same time, he warned us to keep it simple. The second clip expanded our understanding of the diversity and variety of vegetables available at the markets then matter-of-factly reminded us that “boring is not cool.” Jamie showed us that there are many varieties of different kinds of vegetables such as purple potatoes, yellow beets, red carrots, and white eggplant. Why stick with the same old choices every time? – Martin

What Students Learn at Social Soup

The event really made me realize that eating healthy doesn’t really mean you need to spend a lot of money in order to be healthy. I liked the message of the videos themselves; keep it simple, and try something new. Later on in the discussion sardines were brought up to replace salmon; they are a cheaper way to achieve the same type of nutrients. Although sardines aren’t a favorite within our culture, we all need to branch out and try something new; especially when it can save us money yet still give us the nutrients that we need! – Kassi

Throughout the event, we were also given multiple resources that we can take advantage of as students. One example is the campus gardens where we can volunteer and work to grow our own food. There are also the gardens by ORP where you can manage your garden and eat your own freshly grown produce. Another example is the farmers' markets that we have on campus and the opportunity we have to purchase freshly grown produce. These are just a few of the inexpensive ways mentioned that helped to advocate for food justice. – Mariah

The event in general was a new experience for me.  Not typically do I sit in an auditorium to discuss eating habits.  Though it seems like such a simple aspect in our daily lives, it truly is important to speak to friends and reflect ideas off of each other about our diets and habits, which can have positive or adverse effects on our society.  The program was in a relaxed setting, and the students in the other communications class were reporting on the event.  The speakers and chefs were responsive to questions from the audience, which invited us to ask questions that might have seemed “silly”, but probably answered uncertainties many of us have had in the past.  – Aaron

Healthy Steps: Beyond the Soup

My roommates and I all share food which does make eating home-cooked meals much easier, but sometimes it is difficult when we are not all eating together. Making rice and cutting up vegetables for the whole week is easy because you can make just a small portion for yourself or more for other people. But the coolest part is that is has much more nutritional value than cereal! – Shea

Throughout my life nutrition and fitness have been very important to me.  There have been times when I have one has been more important to me than the other.  Having a balanced diet was essential while I participated in sports in high school and middle school.  Being younger, I was able to have the blessing of not worrying as much about my food intake. As I have grown older I can see that my daily nutrition is a lot more important to me and my body than it was ten years ago.  As I attended the Social Soup Lecture Series at the University of Utah, I was able to add to my knowledge regarding nutrition and was able to see how eating healthy can be fun and different.  – Jared

Coming from a family where my father was a health professor, good food has always been important.  As I have moved away from home and had to make meals on my own I have realized that it can be really difficult to eat healthier when only preparing food for one of two people and on a budget. The speaker of the Social Soup gave us all great ideas of how to eat healthy, even as students. Between the soup, the speaker, the chef, and the cobbler it was an excellent example of how we should all be eating.  – Shea

There was a lot of talk about community gardens and farmers markets. Both of these resources help sustain a lot people; they are organized to help those less fortunate. Making healthy food choices was a main focus because this allows people to understand how important nutrition is to our health. If you are smart with your food and budget, you can go far. The food stamp challenge will be interesting in seeing how we can implement those topics talking about at this Social Soup.  - Shalee

I thought this event was a great advocate for food justice in more ways than one.  There were informed speakers and professionals that shared their knowledge with-in their vocations signifying the importance of food in our society and in particular how to eat healthy on a small budget.  – Maren

[A]s I was exiting the auditorium I was given a free little container with fresh radish sprouts to eat. All in all I would say that it was a great first Social Soup experience, sure we were provided with some pretty common sense ideas but sometimes I think that students forget that it’s not so difficult to eat a little bit healthier. Now I’ll be telling my friends on campus to try and attend the “Real Food for Food Day” lecture on October 23rd. – Victor

13 comments:

  1. These Social Soup reflections provide a very concise insight about the hunger issue and how to provide quality nutrition alternatives in order to attempt to end this terrible problem. This initiative is a simple but effective way of showing how we can feed ourselves with quality and sustainability, in addition to help those in need of some kind of nourishment for their bodies. Social Soup is a great event that has to be replicated nationwide, given the importance of the issue it emphasizes. My wishes are only the best for this great project, keep up with the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with many of the people here that I had no idea what to expect from Social Soup, but was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. What an amazing experience we can have on campus! I also agree with Kassi where I never thought to replace salmon with sardines. I personally love sardines and like the idea of trying different recipes with them. I can't wait for the one in November!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t think it is reasonable to assume that universities inherently offer the opportunities to mingle education, introspection and activism in the way that Social Soup does here at the University of Utah in relation to food justice. I believe this event/organization is the exception. I am grateful to have been introduced to and participated in the Social Soup movement this semester.

    The realist in me assumes that some students will attend Social Soup and report on their experience from an academic perspective and never look back on the privilege it was to be a piece of something larger than themselves. Conversely, my realism is not to be mistaken for pessimism as I am certain that at least one person has intimated these food justice issues that have always been so close and, until recently, so foreign. That person is me.

    Martin Evans
    COMM3030

    ReplyDelete
  4. These comments give great insight and advice to those of us who haven't been able to attend the Social Soup series in person. It's nice to hear that the series is giving information on how to eat healthier when you're just cooking for one or two, because sometimes that can be the hardest. I was also interested in reading about the video that was shown, which told students to "keep it simple and try something new." I'm looking forward to going to the next Social Soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Social Soup was something that I had not heard of in my two years at the U. However, this semester I've had the opportunity to learn about it. These comments and reflections were great, they gave a lot of descriptions and quotes from different perspectives. Not only does the series teach how to cook and be healthier but they also have people there showing how to put these healthy living styles directly into practice. Hopefully with word of mouth and good advertising more students and faculty will be made aware of the great presentations that take place on the campus of healthy eating and cooking.
    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been attending the University of Utah for two years and this was the first time that I've heard about Social Soup. These reflections about Social Soup have been great and very informative! It was fun reading everyone's different perspective from Social Soup and what they took away from it. Keep up the good work guys! I'm looking forward to the next Social Soup activity.

      Delete
  7. More than anything, what I get from these posts is a sense of what it's like to attend social soup, including sights, sounds and smells. For someone who has never attended a social soup event, I feel like I now have a pretty good idea of what to expect and, in fact, I feel like this has encouraged me to go and I'm looking forward to attending an event later this month. Personally, I think Social Soup is a good idea and provides students and other individuals with a way to think about social issues in a positive setting while also getting to eat some good food while they're at it! Sounds like a win-win proposition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tomas descibed the first Social Soup Lecture perfectly. Nice job Tomas, I think you captured the essence of the event nicely.

    One other thing the Social Soup Lecture Series does effectively is bringing students and teachers together that may not otherwise interact. On a campus as large as the U's, and with a student population of @30,000 it's easy to remain in one's immediate circle. Social Soup is a great way to meet new people and try new foods. It's also a great way to add items to ones everyday menu. I get stuck in a food eating rut and find myself buying the same foods and eating the same dishes way too often. The two Social Soup events I attended were a wake-up call for me to expand my menu and begin to incorporate new foods and dishes into my everyday diet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I covered the last Social Soup Lecture Series for an assignment for a photojournalism class I am taking. I was so surprised to see what a good turn out there was. There was actually a line for the soup, it was pretty cool. And according to all of these posts, the people there actually cared about what was being discussed, rather than people just in it for the free food. I wasn't able to stay for the soup and the lecture, because I have a class the entire time of the event.
    But after reading these descriptions of the Social Soup and seeing how many people came to the last one I definitely will try to come to these again. Good job to all of the students that are involved in this event. It is a really great cause. -Rachel Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the idea of eating food grown on campus. I also really like the idea of free, good food. Eating healthy on campus is not the easiest thing to do on a student budget and these lectures provide a way to do that. Even if it is only once a month it is still helpful and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Social Soup like some have already mentioned was something that I had never heard of and I am about to graduate this semester. I'm incredibly grateful that I've had the opportunity to learn about different events and opportunities offered on campus during my Comm 3555 class. These reflections were really insightful, and offered different descriptions from different perspectives. This series does a nice job teaching people not only how to cook healthier meals but also shows attendees how to put a healthier style of living into practice. Hopefully with time, word of mouth and more advertising, students and faculty will become aware of the opportunities that take place on the campus that incorporate healthy living.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before taking the class I am in (3030) I too was never exposed to Social Soup and new perspectives I have gained from the class, Social Soup and knowledge I have gained from class and application. I too have found my desires to not only eat healthier, but even more importantly, I am more educated regarding food justice, the many programs out there and the high need and demand for a greater awareness for our world. Now after experiencing a small amount of time doing the Food Stamp Challenge, I have a greater appreciation and understanding of it. It has also broadened my perspective regarding food and what I take in and how it affects my life and those around me. -Maren D

    ReplyDelete