Welcome to the blog!

This is a space where communication students studying convergence journalism (COMM 3555) and social responsibility (COMM 3030) share reports and reflections about issues related to food, nutrition, hunger, and social justice at the University of Utah and throughout the Salt Lake community. We hope you check back often for new updates and share your feedback by leaving us a comment!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nutritious Food on Campus

With so many different food venues on campus, it's  easy to grab a quick snack in between classes. But how healthy is what you're grabbing? With over 30,000 enrolled students, places all over campus are starting accommodating students with special diets/restrictions. This project will concentrate on exploring various places to find nutritious food, whether your diet is omnivorous, vegetarian, gluten-free or just plain healthy and balanced. This project will focus on the many options open to students at the U.

Joy Corpus


4 comments:

  1. I am really interested in this project!! Lately, I have been more concerned about being healthy; I have been going to the gym daily, and I try to eat balanced meals throughout the day. However, Monday through Thursday I am on campus from morning to late afternoon, and therefore become hungry and need to eat. I have been finding that most of the time I just want to run home and eat something there instead of eat on campus; this is because I can’t really find anything that is healthy enough that I would like to eat. I love that other people have the same thoughts that I do on the issue, and that the University is starting to do something about it!
    -Kassi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The importance of healthy eating on campus is extreme. I enjoy this post very much. A number of students spend the entire day on campus, which means either packing food from home or dinning on campus. More mornings than not, I do not have time to pack food. Myself, as I am sure many other students, are appreciative of the awareness that the U campus is providing their students with nutritious food while keeping students’ vast health concerns in mind. I think it is critical to have the picture of the Union building within the post, in order for the students to know where you took the pictures of the food. From a food justice stand point, the awareness of the availability of nutritious food has significance to all 30,000 students enrolled at the U. In addition, I also find the pictures of the labeling on the food containers to be key to the blog post.
    Great Job,
    Whitney Leavitt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,

    I think it is great that there is an existing effort to implement healthier foods on campus. As a student, I sometimes find it difficult to find nutritious and cost-friendly food on campus, so I am resorted to bring the same snacks every day to school with me. (PB&J Sandwich with nuts)

    I hope they improve the food selection at the union, as it can sometimes be expensive and taste a bit processed. Keep up the effort!

    Jared Allenbach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to see the variety of food options available to the student and faculty here at the UofU. I usually look for healthier options when I eat out and I am relieved to see that Dinning Services has clearly marked their products for those that have particular food aversions or allergies. You did a great job making the facilities and the food they offer look appealing!
    ~Martin Evans

    ReplyDelete